Sunset and happy man

#BlogFlash2012: 30 Days, 30 Prompts, 30 Posts: #10 – Success

This month Mr B and I are taking part in #BlogFlash2012, run by Terri Giuliano Long, and – every Friday – #FlashFiveFriday at The Indie Exchange.

The idea behind #BlogFlash2012 is simple: 30 Days, 30 Prompts, 30 Posts. Every day there’s a new visual prompt and you have to produce 50-100 words on the theme. The beauty of it is, you can produce anything from a simple anecdote to a piece of flash fiction.

There’s also a Facebook page so you can follow along and swap links.

I am also taking part in NaBloPoMo August.

#BlogFlash2012: #10 Success

Dave

When I started writing I once measured success as selling millions of copies and being rich. My perception of success has changed a lot since then. If I could earn enough to pay my bills each month then I would be more than happy.

Real success for me comes in the form of readers’ reactions. If a reader tries one of my books and is full of praise, feels that I have taken them on a rewarding journey, then that is the kind of success that is worth far more to me than money.

Donna

Success. Is there anything in the world more subjective than success? One person’s success could potentially be another’s failure. And yet, is there anything in the world we work harder for than success?

When I was younger I believed success was a good job, a big house, many holidays, a great car. Now I’m older, I realise success is a good love, a big heart, many warm moments, a great sense of humour. Success is not defined by what we have but by who we are.

NaBloPoMo

What was the last piece of candy that you gave someone else?

I always try to give a piece of whatever candy I’m eating to Mr B. He deserves it. Call it the ‘Last Rolo Syndrome’…

Author: Donna Brown Donna is a longtime book lover and sometime book reviewer and has devoured books from an early age. She writes short (or long) stories as and when inspiration hits and is married to fantasy author David M. Brown (Fezariu's Epiphany, A World Apart). She was also co-contributor to David's book, Man vs Cat, a humorous look at life with six rambunctious rescue cats. Donna has lived in many different areas of the UK over the last 30-something years but has remained in Yorkshire for the past decade. She ardently disputes the misnomer that 'It's grim up north'.

0 Responses to "#BlogFlash2012: 30 Days, 30 Prompts, 30 Posts: #10 – Success"

1. Cabin Wench
    Cabin Wench 3 years ago .Reply

I save the last piece of candy for Geoff too. Even if he does not deserve it at the moment (snoring man) OK he always deserves candy because he always gives me the candy to begin with!

• David M. Brown
      David M. Brown 3 years ago .Reply

I always encourage Donna to have the last few pieces of candy but she always insists on sharing! It's very annoying. I'm trying to be nice and considerate but she won't let me!

2. Angela D.
    Angela D. 3 years ago .Reply

It is really interesting how we all redefine success as our lives change. I think that success for me personally would have to be about finding some sort of balance.

• David M. Brown
      David M. Brown 3 years ago .Reply

Agreed Angela.

Our perception of the important things in our lives changes a lot. Your children are one of your great successes for instance. I think my early aspirations of being a million sellin author were down to being young and naive. It's a competitive world and hard to earn big amounts from the work you do. That's why I'm happier to earn just enough to cover the bills. Success with writing may be measured by copies sold but that's just one stage. Having readers enjoy your work is quite another.

3. Coral Russell
    Coral Russell 3 years ago .Reply

Awww The Texan Viper approves of this definition of success! hehehe

• David M. Brown
      David M. Brown 3 years ago .Reply

Thanks for that Viper :) Glad we have your approval. We know you're a hard woman to please lol :)

4. Cabin Wench
    Cabin Wench 3 years ago .Reply

OK checking back in again for #FlashFiveFriday *GRIN* this so rocks! *dancing* ok sorry, American Bacon anyone OHHH How about some Thai food? I have a LOT Of fresh basil! The meese did not eat all of it!

• David M. Brown
      David M. Brown 3 years ago .Reply

I'm not sure how to respond to all of those points Kriss :) I'm thinking if I smile and give you the thumbs up I should be okay. American bacon spunds good by the way. Thanks for visiting as always :)

5. Lizzie Koch
    Lizzie Koch 3 years ago .Reply

I totally agree with both of you about success. Reactions make you smile and carry on and Donna, your last sentence is just perfect! :-)). xx

• David M. Brown
      David M. Brown 3 years ago .Reply

I enjoyed the last line too. I keep telling Donna she's a great writer but I'm always told to be quiet :(

6. […] #BlogFlash2012: 30 Days, 30 Prompts, 30 Posts: #10 – Success Share the scrawl! Posted in Blog Tagged 30 Days (TV series), Arnold Schwarzenegger, Book, Business and Economy, Chihuahua, Dachshund, Dog, Shopping permalink […]